21 DIY Home Paint Hacks for Easier, Cleaner, Speedier Projects
You’ve washed the windows, scrubbed the floors, and cleaned out the closets. Spring cleaning is practically done! If you want to take spring cleaning to the next level and paint a room, we’ve got 21 tips to make painting easier. As the exclusive Pratt and Lambert Paint, Town Hardware & General Store is your Black Mountain paint store.
21 Home Painting Tips
- Don’t buy tray liners anymore. Line a paint tray with a plastic bag or aluminum foil and never clean your paint tray again.
- Use the “W” or zig-zag method to get a smooth, even finish. Learn more here.
- Use an empty cardboard water bottle case to keep paint supplies from accidentally dripping on the floor.
- Use Vaseline to paint over any tiny areas that you don’t want painted, like screws or hinges. Lay it on thick and after the paint dries, wipe the Vaseline off with a paper towel.
- Use a stiff angled brush to paint trim and skip the painter’s tape.
- Use pimple pads that contain alcohol to wipe small paint messes.
- Store paint rollers in a Pringles can. Remove excess paint and the lid.
- If your tape is old and won’t roll without peeling, place it in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Want to keep the sides of a paint can clean? Wipe excess paint off of a brush by stretching a rubber band around the paint can vertically.
- Soak paintbrushes in hot vinegar for 30 minutes to clean, and then rinse with hot, soapy water.
- Tape pieces of cardboard to the corners of a drop cloth for easier folding.
- Line windows with wet newspapers rather than tape.
- Eliminate paint fumes by adding a tablespoon of vanilla extract per pint of paint and mix it really well.
- Set your roller and brush by lightly wetting them. Run warm water over your hands and press it into the roller or brush. Rotate a few times and repeat. Cover the entire surface with just a sprinkle of liquid! Now the brush or roller will absorb paint better when you start. More information on this tip can be found here.
- Protect your skin from with Ghost Glove, all-natural and organic product that creates an invisible barrier on skin.
- De-fuzz new rollers with packaging tape.
- Place the ankle portion of a gym sock on your wrist, and then working with a wide roll of tape is easy.
- Close a paint can the right way.
- Protect furniture that can’t move. Cover sinks and toilets with Self Stick Paint Shield plastic wrap (Link?). The paint can seep under the edges, so it’s no substitute for sharp edges and masking tape.
- Buy primer and paint separately to save money. It usually takes a coat of primer plus two coats of paint, and primer and paint cost less than the combination. Add a tint to your primer to help cover dark paint.
- Use Spray Paint. If you’re painting over a large area with corners and edges (think: built in shelves), use spray paint to quickly get a first layer. The spray paint can cover hard to reach corners and crevices. This is a huge time saver for painting over dark colors.
Town Hardware & General Store is your Black Mountain paint headquarters! We offer a full range of Pratt & Lambert paints. Not to mention, you can get all the additional paint accessories like brushes, paint trays, drop cloths, and paint tape at the store!
Comments are closed